Friday, August 6, 2010

Like a Child with her Finger Stuck in the Door!

As some of you know, I have 3 indoor chickens. I got them on March 24, so now they are 20 weeks old. My Australorp is a sleek iridescent black number who is lead bird, as she has the most nerve and curiousity to investigate all new sounds and scenes first. My Buff Orpington (a.k.a. Fluffernutter) is soft, docile, pretty, easygoing, and cuddly. My Easter Egger is, well, let's just say, entertaining. She is not the sharpest tack in the box, but she makes me laugh.

For the last 3 mornings she has been yelling like a child who got her finger stuck in the door. She has been downright OBNOXIOUS! It has seemed that she was so distressed, yet I could not see the reason why she would be screeching with such unrelenting abandon. I started to look on the internet today for clues as to WHY.

All of a sudden things got reeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyy quiet. I went over to the coop and here she was, hunkered down in a depression she made in the bedding, under a ladder against one side of the coop. Her eyes looked glazed over, as if she were in a deep trance. I decided that she was concentrating on SOMEthing (I suspected getting an egg out), so I left her alone. I went back in 15 minutes, and she was throwing bedding onto her back. 15 minutes later she got up and LO and BEhold, there were not ONE, but TWO BLUE EGGS! I was elated! OK, still am! I knew she would lay colored eggs, but to get TWO on the first try...well, how rare is that?

In a few minutes, she shook herself off, then hopped over to the forage/spa area and joined the others in some QUIET exploration and digging and had a long luxurious dust bath. She is the star of the day!
I suppose if I were she, I too would be pretty
vocal if I had 2 of these things in me! I wonder if she was scared, or just complaining that she was READY to have these eggs already!
Kind of like a pregnant woman who is overdue.
Well at any rate, my little baby grew up today and became a woman. I'm ever so proud!

2 comments:

  1. So what are you going to do with these blue eggs? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm, cuz was that a HINT possibly??? (just guessing!) I got another one today so I ate it. Shells will go in the compost heap. When all 3 hens are laying, I'll estimate I'll have probably 16 eggs a week (GASP!) so not sure yet. Why, you want some? You can have some! :) They are DELISH!

    ReplyDelete