Saturday, August 28, 2010

What did I ever do before chickens?

It has occurred to me that my life is more delightful since the girlz arrived. Here is a picture that I call "I'll take all three!" The girlz don't seem to mind being all squashed like this when I pick them up.








My fiance, the handy guy that he is, constructed a "chicken tractor". This is a moveable enclosure you can wheel around on the lawn, in the garden, wherever you want to, and the girlz can peck at whatever they find where they are: bugs, grass, grit in the dirt--and fertilize at the same time! As you can see, my honey is pretty proud of his creation, and I am, too! We even enjoyed a dinner on the lawn with the girlz to celebrate.

Here was the menu:
  • Grilled chicken with paprika, onion, salt, and pepper (still on the grill yet in this picture)
  • Wild rice with lemon and butter
  • Salad with romaine and sweet volunteer grape/cherry tomatoes
  • Gazpacho (cold tomato soup made of tomatoes, sweet green peppers, cucumbers, red wine vinegar, garlic, and salt, and garnished with croutons)

2 comments:

  1. Joel oughta sell those Chicken Tractors on Etsy. Bet they'd bring a pretty penny! Oh an you said the girlz didn't mind being squished.... the middle one didn't look all that happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, he did a great job didn't he! I'm pleased as punch! The shipping on those babies would be $$$$$$$$$$!! Buffy tends to have that look on her face but she is really a mellow sweetie. When I come near the coop, she always runs right over to me and wants to be picked up and cuddled. She is also my best egg layer! I love chickens--what other pet will make you breakfast??

    ReplyDelete